Not the nursery we grew up with, Pattern Play is a result of the client’s love of graphic patterns and color. This long room lacked architectural features. What seemed like a negative became the perfect playground for the offbeat mix of patterns, texture and color. By turning the room upside down (stripes on ceiling), designer Karen Wolf created a focal point, leading to the giant window showcasing the star of the room -Dwell Studios “Brushed Dot” fabric with peacock and yellow polka dots. The main challenge in the space was a balancing act on how to make all these patterns and colors work.
Tricks of the Trade:
1. Create a focal point in the room.
2. Pop your accent color at least three times around the room. Note the mustard yellow.
3. Ground your space with neutrals to provide a place for the eye to rest. (Crème shag and gray Jim Thompson textured wallpaper).
4. Use black, white or gray. There is always a place for these classic colors. Ferm Living Half Moon Wallpaper.
5. Change up scale of patterns. Medium sized wallpaper print, large stripes and small bedding prints.
6. Mix up the patterns: Circles, Stripes, Brushstrokes, Chevron, Ditsy, Solid and Abstract.
7. Throw in an unexpected color – Red art.
8. Play with sheen and lustre, high to low.
9. Have fun and let yourself go. Design is a layering process and sometimes you need to delayer, start over and layer again. Mistakes happen and that is OK.
Orange and turquoise breathe life into this bright and airy Mid-century modern nursery that showcases designers from DucDuc and Stray Dog Designs to Spot on Square and Nurseryworks. A plush shag rug, large glider and ottoman and great storage make the space comfortable and practical.
This mid century modern bedroom features a padded gray headboard complimenting the patterned gray and white bed linens. A variety of decorative pillows help tie the color scheme through the space, while multicolored wallpaper finishes off the modern look.
Midcentury Modern Nursery With Whale-Patterned Wallpaper
Taupe walls, a bright blue glider and lime green accents balance the black in this dark nursery. Bold black-and-white whale-patterned wallpaper creates a bold focal wall, which is broken up by a solid black dresser.
Bold prints and modern furniture make this masculine teen bedroom feel hip and edgy. Open shelves display graphic books and albums, creating a powerful visual effect while providing functional storage space.
In the master bedroom, the wall on which the bed rests is covered in a gorgeous, metallic silver grass cloth that conceals the hidden door to the closet. Above the mirrored, four-poster bed, a brass chain link chandelier makes a bold statement, while rich texture was added with black faux fur pillow shams and blanket at the food of the bed. To personalize the space even further, designers had a modern, monogram printed on metallic linen.
Master Bedroom with Mid-Century Furnishings, Shiplap Accent Wall
A shiplap accent wall creates a subtle focal point in this minimalist master bedroom. White walls form a backdrop to an earthy palette brought forth in fabrics and accessories. Case pieces reflect the home's mid-century architecture.
Classic Style, Midcentury Modern Bedroom With Tall White Headboard, Patterned Textured Rug and Tufted Bench
A white headboard pops against the gray wall paint in this bedroom. White curtains, gray bed sheets and a white comforter continue the calm and cool color combination. A tufted bench is fixed at the foot of the bed with the patterned area rug extending out past the bench to soften the hardwood floor. Midcentury modern nightstands and table lamps create a mirrored look framing the bed.