To give the room a personal touch, the designers surrounded the bed with family photos and artwork. A large graphic print in blue anchors the wall, while also bringing out the best in the orange bed frame and yellow accents.
Pops of Mustard Yellow in Playful, Midcentury Modern Nursery
Not the nursery we grew up with, Pattern Play is a result of the client’s love of graphic patterns and color. This long room lacked architectural features. What seemed like a negative became the perfect playground for the offbeat mix of patterns, texture and color. By turning the room upside down (stripes on ceiling), Karen Wolf created a focal point, leading to the giant window showcasing the star of the room -Dwell Studios “Brushed Dot” fabric with peacock and yellow polka dots. The main challenge in the space was a balancing act on how to make all these patterns and colors work.
Tricks of the Trade:
1. Create a focal point in the room.
2. Pop your accent color at least three times around the room. Note the mustard yellow.
3. Ground your space with neutrals to provide a place for the eye to rest. (Crème shag and gray Jim Thompson textured wallpaper).
4. Use black, white or gray. There is always a place for these classic colors. Ferm Living Half Moon Wallpaper.
5. Change up scale of patterns. Medium sized wallpaper print, large stripes and small bedding prints.
6. Mix up the patterns: Circles, Stripes, Brushstrokes, Chevron, Ditsy, Solid and Abstract.
7. Throw in an unexpected color – Red art.
8. Play with sheen and lustre, high to low.
9. Have fun and let yourself go. Design is a layering process and sometimes you need to delayer, start over and layer again. Mistakes happen and that is OK.
Sunny Master Bedroom With White and Cream Color Scheme Featuring Upholstered Headboard and Textured Rug
A sliding door creates a welcoming, open entrance to the bright and sunny master bedroom. A texture cream area rug transitions the hardwood flooring to the white bedroom furniture. Plush pillows pad the upholstered headboard with a small black and white floral pillow throwing a touch of contrast over the white details.