On the grounds of Christ Church, one can enter Wesley Gardens. The two-acre garden is adorned with 4,000 azaleas and 60 varieties of shrubs, of particular interest to visitors with green thumbs. But the garden’s centerpiece remains the 18-foot Celtic cross made of Georgia stone to honor the early ministries of John and Charles Wesley. The brothers came to Georgia in 1736. While Charles was revered as a poet and writer who penned well-known hymns like "Hark the Herald," and served as Oglethorpe’s secretary of Indian Affairs, John would be remembered as the founder of American Methodism.